FERS annuity


Q. I am 48 years old and have six years of federal service under FERS. If I were to quit my job today, would I qualify for an annuity and when is the earliest I could start collecting on it? I know my MRA is age 56.

A. Because you have at least five years of creditable service, if you resigned from the government, you could apply for a deferred annuity at age 62. That annuity would be based on your highest three consecutive years of average salary (your high-3) and your years and full months of service on the day you left.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply