Relocating while receiving workman's compensation


Q. I am currently on LWOP and receiving compensation through the Office of Workers; Compensation. I am employed by the Department of Labor, and am 60 years old.  I have applied for Social Security benefits for the purpose of applying for federal disability retirement, which I did approximately one month ago.  I would like to know if I can relocate while in my present status and how do I learn if my application for retirement is accepted?

A. You are free to relocate while your application for benefits is being adjudicated. However, you’ll need to make sure that your agency, OWCP, SSA and, eventually, OPM, know your current address.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply