Q. I was hired by the State Department on Jan. 22, 1984, and was placed under the FERS retirement plan. I have prior active duty and reserve military service.  My question(s): Does my military count as service towards retirement and if so, was I placed in the wrong retirement system? If that is the case, is there anything that can be done at this point in time to be placed in CSRS?

A. You were placed in the correct retirement system. To be eligible for CSRS, you would have had to have had five years of actual CSRS service before Jan. 1, 1987. Note: To get credit for your prior military service, you would have to make a deposit to the civilian retirement system, plus accrued interest. To find out more about this, talk to someone in your servicing personnel office.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply