Special retirement supplement and re-employment


Q: I am a 57-year-old FERS annuitant who retired in 2010 with 33 years of service. I am considering going back to work part-time for my former agency (Dept of Energy) in a position that will allow me to receive both my annuity and the full salary of the new position. In addition to my FERS annuity, I am also receiving a special annuity supplement of about $12,000 per year. Normally, if I become employed and earn a salary I will lose $1 of the special annuity supplement for every $2 I earn over the IRS limit of about $14,100 per year. Will I lose the special annuity supplement if I become a part-time Fed and earn over the limit, or is the supplement protected in the same way that my annuity will not be offset by my earnings?

A: Your special retirement supplement will not be protected. It will be reduced in the manner you described if you exceed the Social Security earnings limit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply