Credit for government work


Q: I was a U.S. Postal Service employee from Feb. 1975 until Feb 1983. I will turn 65 in May. I am not eligible for government retirement, since those eight years were my only government employment. Nor am I eligible for Social Security benefits. Is there some way that the postal service can credit my employment with them for Social Security benefits?

A: No, there isn’t any way that can be done. On another subject, if you left your retirement contributions in the fund when you left the Postal Service, you would be eligble for a deferred annuity. If you took a refund of those contributions, you wouldn’t.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply