Q. I am a retired governent employee receiving a pension. My husband was killed in a car accident in January of this year. My widows benefits from him under Social Security is being offset and I plan to appeal. Are there any cases where exceptions have been made?

A. No there aren’t. The law is fixed and doesn’t allow for any exceptions.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply