Deferred retirement


Q. I am retired military and I will have 15 years of  unbroken civil service on July 31 when I reach my MRA.  Can I take deferred retirement?

A. Because you have reached your minimum retirement age and have at least 10 years of civilian service, you retire under the MRA+10 provision with an immediate annuity. However, that annuity will be reduced by 5 percent for every year that you are under age 62. You can postpone the receipt of your annuity to a later date to reduce or eliminate the age penalty.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply