Federal time after receiving lump sum from RIF


Q. I am a former employee at Mare Island Shipyard, Calif. Due to a reduction in force, I lost my job in 1996. I pulled out all of my retirement money to become a registered nurse and I work at a private company now. Is all the time I worked with the shipyard no longer considered for retirement because I withdrew my retirement money? If I returned to a federal job, could I buy back the time for a later retirement?

A. You would only be eligible for a benefit if you returned to work for the federal government in a position that provided retirement coverage and redeposited the amount of the refund plus accumulated interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply