Retirement deductions


Q. I will soon be working 51 years and will be thinking of retirement.  I do not want any additional annuity, I just want to collect my excess money with the 3 percent interest.  Please tell me how I go about this.

A. You won’t have to do a thing. When your retirement application is processed by OPM officials, they will send you a letter telling you how to get a refund of your excess deductions.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply