CSRS retirement


Q. I have 34 years under CSRS. I am planning to retire at the end of the year. I am also a retired Army reservist. Can I received credit for my initial active-duty time and annual training time that occurred prior to entering civilian federal service towards my CSRS retirement?

A. Probably. However, you’ll need to complete Form RI-90-97, Estimated Earnings During Military Service, and mail it to your branch of service along with a copy of your DD Form(s) 214, Report of Transfer or Discharge, or similar document(s). When you get a reply, take it along with a copy of your DD 214 or similar to your local payroll office. They can determine how much you would need to deposit to get credit for it. You can get a copy of RI-90-97 by going to www.opm.gov and clicking on Find Form(s).


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply