Special supplement and Social Security


Q: I am considering retiring this year while I am 60. I understand I am entitled to the FERS special supplement, and I have been given an estimate of that amount. I am also a widow and could draw Social Security on my husband at this time. What I would like to do is draw the supplement till I am 62, the normal age a person is eligible for SS, and then start drawing on my benefit at the reduced rate until I am full retirement age of 66. At which time I would like to switch to my husband’s benefit which has been estimated to be larger than mine. Does my eligibility to draw SS at age 60 impact my entitlement to the special supplement until I reach 62?

A: No, it doesn’t.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply