Deferred retirement


Q. I am a federal employee with 10 years of consecutive service from 2001 to 2011. I would like to resign my position in August. What are my options for a deferred retirement? Please include every available scenario.

A. There’s only one scenario. If you resign from your position and leave your contributions in the retirement fund, you can apply for a deferred annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply