Annuity for second wife


Q. My friend is the second wife of a deceased federal retiree.  When he died, his first wife, as per the divorce decree, received the maximum annuity.  If she dies, is there any way my friend can receive an annuity?

A. Only if her late husband elected a survivor annuity for her in order to protect her rights should his former wife lose entitlement to a survivor annuity. She should call the Office of Personnel Management’s Retirement Information Office at 888-767-6738 and provide it  with her late husband’s CSA number and other pertinent information, such as his dates of birth and death, and Social Security number, so a specialist can begin a search of his records.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply