High 3 and military pay


Q. Is it possible to use my military basic pay instead of my federal salary to determine my high 3 for federal annuity calculations? If I make my military deposit for federal credit,  can I use the higher military pay to calculate my high 3?  I am a Customs and Border Protection officer on leave without pay, and I went on active duty military for three years.

A: No, you can’t. By law your high-3 is based solely on your highest three consecutive years of civilian basic pay.

About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply