Q.  If I were to retire in 2012 with 24 years of service at age 56 under FERS, would I be eligible for an annuity supplement? I was informed by the Army Benefits Center that to be eligible for a retirement supplement I would have to be offered a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority from my organization.  Is this correct?

A.  Yes, otherwise you would be retiring under the MRA+10 provision. Not only wouldn’t you get the special retirement supplement but your annuity would be reduced by 5 percent for every year you were under age 62.



About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply