MRA+10 and penalties


 Q. I am being involuntarily separated from Nonappropriated Fund service due to my position being abolished. I retained Federal Employees Retirement Service when I became an NAF employee. I am 55 years old with more than 10 years of creditable service and will be Minimum Retirement Age+10 eligible when I turn 56. Will I be penalized 5 percent for every year under the age of 62 if I apply for MRA+10 retirement? My retirement will be a result of being involuntarily separated. Will I be eligible for any Social Security benefits?

 A. If you are separated before you reach your MRA, you would only be eligible for a deferred retirement when you reach age 62. If your separation is delayed until you reach your MRA, you could retire under the MRA+10 provision. However, your annuity would be reduced by 5 percent for every year you were under age 62, unless you delayed the receipt of your annuity to a later date to reduce or eliminate the age penalty. In neither case would you be eligible for the special retirement supplement, which approximates the Social Security benefit you earned while a FERS employee. The earliest you would be eligible for a Social Security benefit is when you reach age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Johanna Edwards on

    Hoping this email address is still valid for posing questions related to
    transition between GS and NAF position
    I am considering taking potential new position as NAF, after over 20+years as
    GS employee. Current plans are to work only another 5-6 years before retirement.
    Need some expert advice on differences in retirement benefits and pay, and
    what , if any benefits or services I might lose if I make this switch this
    late in my federal service
    Sincerely appreciate your professional feedback and advice.
    Thank you

    • Unfortunately, we don’t know anything about the NAF system and what you might gain or lose by moving to it.

Leave A Reply