Two single policies?


Q. My husband retired at 67 in October 2010 with 15 years of service under Federal Employees Retirement Service. He currently has Tricare for Life through his previous 30-year military retirement. It has become apparent that his policy does not cover as much as mine. I am a current employee planning to retire in 2012. I have a single FEHB. Since we have no dependent children to cover, it would seem that two single policies would be a better cost option for us. Could he sign up for a single policy during the next open season or would I have to add him to my policy?

A. Because he is retired, he cannot enroll in the Federal Employees Health Benefits program. You could, however, add him to your policy by electing the self and family option.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply