Resign or file for disability retirement?


Q. I retired from Army in 1998 after 20 years. I was hired by civil service in 1999 and am now on leave without pay because of service-connected disabilities. I have 90 percent disability, according to the Veterans Affairs Department and was just approved for Social Security Disability Insurance on July 29. Should I resign from my government job for health reasons or file for disability under Federal Employees Retirement System? I have been LWOP since Feb. 10.

A. It would make sense for you to apply for disability retirement. Simply resigning from the government would gain you nothing.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply