FERS retirement


Q: I had 26 years of civil service and I’m 49. Can I retire in four more years without the age-reduction penalty When I will have 30 years in service and I’m only 53? Am I entitled to receive the FERS special retirement supplement until age 62?

A: No. The earliest you could retire is when you reach your minimum retirement age, which in your case would be 56. If you retired then, you’d be eligible to receive the special retirement supplement until age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply