Paying twice for Medicare


Q: I just turned 65 and started paying my Medicare premium on a quarterly basis. I am still working federal civil service and not drawing Social Security so I have to pay my Medicare premiums separately from my pay deduction. However, Medicare deductions are still taken from my civil service pay. It seems I am having to pay twice for the same coverage. If I was not working civil service I would not have the deduction and I would still receive the same coverage since I am 65 and paying the premiums for parts A and B.  Shouldn’t the pay deduction cease when a worker turns 65 since I am paying premiums directly now?

A: As long as you have earnings from wages or self-employment, Medicare Part A will continue to be deducted from your pay. Therefore, you shouldn’t be making quarterly payments for that coverage. If you are, write to or call 1-800-Medicare to straighten things out. On the other hand, Medicare Part B deductions are not automatically deducted from an employee’s pay. If they are, you shouldn’t be making separate payments; if they aren’t, your should.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Similar question: Like countless others, I have worked a long time and paid into the Medicare system along the way. Now I’m 66. And getting billed big bucks to have Medicare. I am not drawing Social Security yet, but even if I were, why would I still be required to pay for my Medicare again? I contributed to the system for the last 36 years.

    Who is benefiting from all the contributions I paid into Medicare? And to add insult to injury, when I do take my Social Security, it will be diminished considerably when Medicare takes the quarterly payments from that source.

    Thank you.

    • Deductions for Medicare Part A are taken from everyone who is receiving a paycheck. That’s the law. Those deductions allow the system to remain solvent and cover the costs of those who are eligible for that benefit and are no longer working.

Leave A Reply