Separated after a year


Q: If I am recently separated (voluntarily) from the civil service after 13 months and have not purchased my military time for retirement purposes, can I still submit the paperwork to buy back that time and be eligible for some FERS benefits at age 62?

A: No. Only an employee can do that. FYI: You would have to have worked for five years as a FERS employee to be eligible for an annuity. Bought back time wouldn’t count.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply