Offset trigger


Q: I retired from civil service at 55. I have been working in the private sector. I just turned 62 and plan on continuing to work and not collect Social Security benefits until I retire altogether. When can I expect a reduction in my CSRS Offset annuity?

A: Since you have just turned 62, the offset should occur in your next annuity payment. The offset will be made regardless of whether apply for a Social Security benefit and will be equal to the amount of benefit you earned while employed under CSRS Offset.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply