Military service deposit


Q.  I am a current FERS employee with prior active-duty military service. When I began federal civil employment, my Service Computation Date (SCD) was established as Dec. 18, 1984. Three years ago, I made a complete payment for military service deposit, i.e., I “bought back” my military time. My SCD has remained the same since then. Should my SCD have been recomputed? Regarding my retirement, what benefit(s) did I gain by buying back my military time?

A. If you were nonretired military, you should have received full credit for your active duty service for leave accrual purposes when you were hired. If you were retired military, no credit is given, even if you make a deposit for that service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply