Involuntary separation


Q. I am 54 with 20 years of service under FERS.  I’ve been offered the Voluntary Separation Incentive Payments/Voluntary Early Retirement Authority,  but do not want to retire yet.  I would not receive much in retirement.  What are my rights under involuntary separation?

A. If you were involuntarily separated, you would be eligible for immediate retirement, just as you would if you accepted an offer of voluntary retirement and/or a buyout. In the same way, you’d receive the special retirement supplement when you reach your minimum retirement age. Because you would be eligible for an immediate annuity when you separated, you wouldn’t be entitled to severance pay.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply