Q.  I retired with 28 years of service at age 51 (voluntary early retirement), was rehired as a retired annuitant with my current term ending Jan. 31 after 4 ½ years and collecting both my pension and salary.  Now, I wish to come back (reinstatement) to my old field position at the same grade level  and wish to rescind the collection of my pension and receive my old salary.  Will I have to pay back anything and will there be any off set to my salary at Grade 12 because of receiving a pension in the past?

A. Because you retired voluntarily, if you return to work for the government in the way you described, the salary of your new position will be offset by the amount of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply