Survivor annuity


Q. I  have a service-connected disability and will be retiring soon under  CSRS. Would my wife receive money from my service-connected disability and from my civil service with a survivor annuity of 75 percent?

A. If you elected a full survivor annuity for her, she would receive 55 percent of  the amount of your annuity before it was reduced to provide for that annuity, increased by any subsequent cost-of-living adjustments that you received after you retired. She would also receive the proceeds of your Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance. Because this is a site dedicated to answering civilian benefit questions, I don’t know what benefits she would be entitled to based on your service connected disability. You’ll have to check with your former branch of service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply