Credit for military police service


Q: I served as a military policeman on active duty in the Army from 1981 to 1983. I purchased this time for credit for my federal retirement. Can
this time be used under the FERS law enforcement officer retirement? The MP duties meet the requirements and definition of a federal LEO under FERS. I believe CSRS does not credit this service.

A: No. The law is clear. Only civilian law enforcement officer service counts when determining an employee’s eligibility to retire under the special provision and receive the more generous annuity computation. When you are eligible to retire as a law enforcement officer, those years of active-duty service for which you made a deposit would be computed using the standard formula.


About Author

Leave A Reply