Redeposit for military service


Q. I previously worked for the federal government (CSRS, full time) from 1966 to 1969. I quit civil service for college, and then went active duty from 1976 to 1979. The private sector did not work for me, so I went back to federal civil service in May 1983 (CSRS, full time). My service computation date showed at March 1977, I plan to retire in March 2012 (I would be 65 years old) and I will not be eligible for Social Security benefits. Would I have to make a redeposit of my military service (1976-79) in order for those three years to be calculated into my retirement annuity? What would be my calculated total government service?

A. Because you were first employed before Oct. 1, 1982, are covered by the Civil Service Retirement System, and won’t be eligible for a Social Security benefit when you retire, you don’t have to make a deposit to get credit for your post-1956 military service in determining your total years of service and in your annuity computation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply