Buyouts and collecting unemployment


Q. If I do a full retirement under the Civil Service Retirement System and accepted a buyout offer as an inducement for electing voluntary early retirement, will I be able to collect unemployment compensation insurance if I look for employment outside of federal service?

A. No.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. It kind of defeats the purpose of employment insurance to accept a voluntary buy out package and then find yourself “unemployed”. If that were the case our entire system would be in financial difficulty.

  2. Typical federal employee! Guaranteed job with great benefits and wages for decades, has to be paid to ever consider leaving and wants more money from the state fund to help normal people out of work as well. Tell me again public sector unions are a good thing…

Leave A Reply