Deferred annuity


Q. I worked as a WG-10 for the Air Force from November 1985 to July 2000, after fours years of active duty. I already rolled over my Thrift Savings Plan 401(k). I was under the Federal Employees Retirement System, but I remember contributing a small amount each pay period toward retirement. Where can I find out what benefits I will receive and when I am eligible to collect?

A. Assuming that you didn’t get a refund of your retirement contributions, at age 62 you could apply for a deferred annuity. It would be computed using the following formula: 0.01 x your highest three years of average salary (your high-3) x your years and full months of FERS employment. Your active duty service wouldn’t be included in those years of service unless you had made a deposit for them to the civilian retirement system while you were still working for the federal government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply