Offset overpayment


Q: I retired from federal service in 2003 at age 57 under the CSRS Offset program. I am almost 66. I recently began my application for Social Security benefits and during this process “discovered” that my CSRS pension has never been adjusted for the Social Security offset which should have occurred at age 62. Is OPM going to want a retroactive repayment of the amounts I would have collected from Social Security if I had applied at age 62? How should I proceed?

A: OPM will have no choice but to seek a refund of the overpayments you received. When it does that, you’ll be told what your appeal rights are.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply