Spousal Social Security


Q: My wife, age 66, has retired and is collecting Social Security. When I, age 67, retire under CSRS, will I be able to collect any amount of the normal half of the spousal Social Security?

A: Probably not. Because you’ll receive an annuity from a retirement system in which you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, you’ll be subject to the government pension offset. The GPO will reduce your spousal benefit by $2 for every $3 you receive in your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply