Changing to self-only plans


Q: My husband and I are retired federal employees. While we were employed, we did not have separate self-only health insurance plans. My husband was a part of my self-and-family plan. We continue to have a self-and-family plan. Because the combined annual cost of self-and-family coverage is about $900 more than the cost of two self-only policies, we would like to have separtate policies. Can we do this? If the answer is yes, is there an OPM or FEHB reference I can share with my husband. He is concerned about making changes and insists he was told at pre-retirement seminars that the self-only coverage is possible only if he had the self-only coverage while employed by the government.

A: To make a change to two self-only emrollments, call OPM’s Retirement Information Office at 888-767-6738 (202-6-6-0500 in the D.C. Metro area).


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply