LWOP and FERS contribution


Q. Several years ago, I was granted 16 months of leave without pay for a medical condition. While I was on LWOP, I made no contributions to FERS so I assume I should notify my Human Resources Office to buy back this time. Is this correct? If so, is there a specific form to complete? I recently bought back 25 months of active-duty military service so I assume LWOP would be handled in a similar manner.

A. An aggregate nonpay status of six months in any calendar year is creditable service. Coverage continues at no cost to you while in a nonpay status. When you are in a nonpay status for only a portion of a pay period, your retirement deductions are adjusted in proportion to your basic pay. If your LWOP exceeded six months in any calendar year, you’d have to make a deposit to the retirement fund to get credit for that time.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply