Federal employment


Q. I’m on active duty until September with 15 years of service, but because of the recent Enlisted Review Board, the Navy has forced me out. Are there government jobs that will employ service members with this amount of timed served and allow them to still receive a 20 year retirement?

A. If you are hired by the federal government, your active duty military service would be creditable if you made a deposit to the civilian retirement system. However, to be eligible to retire, you would have to be employed as a civilian for five years to be vested in the system. Here are the age and service requirements to retire: 62 and five, 60 and 20, at your minimum retirement age (MRA) and 30, or at your MRA and at least 10 but fewer than 30. In the latter case, you annuity would be reduced by 5 percent for every year you were under age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply