Insurance premiums and federal income taxes


Q. I am a Federal CSRS retiree. I have my FEHB insurance deducted from my annuity by OPM. Can I deduct my Blue Cross Blue Shield premiums from my federal income taxes?

A. You can include the premiums on Schedule A of Form 1040; however, the amount wouldn’t be deductible unless your total medical expenses exceed your adjusted gross income by 7.5 percent for the year.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply