Deferred retirement


Q. I worked for the Department of Veterans Affairs for more than six years. Next year I will reach the age of 62. How do I file for retirement benefits?

A. If you didn’t receive a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, several months before your 62nd birthday you can send an Application for Immediate Retirement to OPM, Retirement Services Management group, P.O. Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045. If you were a CSRS employee, use Standard Form 2801, if FERS, Standard Form 3107. They are available for download at, click on Find Form(s).


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply