Survivor annuity


Q. I retired from a CSRS position in 2004.  My husband agreed to receive a partial survivor annuity  Can he now choose to reduce or eliminate that annuity and thus enable me to receive my full pension?  If he does this, will he still be able to carry the health insurance after my death?

A. Neither he nor you can change the survivor annuity election the two of you made in 2004. What’s done is done.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply