Buyout and contractor re-employment


Q. If I receive a buyout from the federal government, will I have to pay back monies if I take a job with a local college sponsored by the Department of Agriculture and go to work in my old office as the government slot was deleted.

A. For an overview of the employment situations that would require a repayment, go to and scroll down to Repayment Requirements. For a specific answer to your question, you’ll have to go to your personnel office and, probably, your general counsel.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply