Military buyback


Q. I had 17 years of active duty, got out, joined the reserves and became a FERS-covered employee. I retired from the reserves. I have been buying back my military time since I joined civil service. Counting my military time, upon civil service retirement I would have 44 years of civil service.

Upon retirement, would I be eligible for both a military retire check and a federal service retire check?

A. Assuming that you complete your deposit to get credit for your active duty service, you would receive both your reserve retired pay and your civilian annuity, with no reduction in either.



About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply