Annual leave


Q. I recently discovered that I am eligible to receive eight hours annual leave (currently receiving six hours) per pay period due to an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal I received during active-duty service. I have completed nine years of federal service and would like to know if and how the additional two hours of annual leave over a nine-year period will be credited back to me.

A. If your agency determines that you are entitled to additional hours of annual leave due to an administrative error, it must adjust your leave balance to reflect the additional hours. If that puts you over your annual leave ceiling at the end of the leave year, the additional leave must be placed in a restored leave account and your agency must document the change on a Standard Form 50, Notification of Personnel Action. The leave in your restored account must be scheduled and used within two years. If not, it will be forfeited.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply