VCP transfer into Vanguard Roth IRA


Q. I will have 40 years with the Internal Revenue Service in 2012 and plan to retire either this year or in 2013. I have been contributing to both the Thrift Savings Plan and the Voluntary Contributions Program. I plan to leave the TSP contributions to the G Fund alone and let it grow.

The VCP is another matter. I have a Roth IRA with Vanguard and would like to transfer all of the VCP to the Vanguard Roth IRA.

I know I am required to pay tax on the interest the VCP has earned in the year received. How do I do this transfer? There seems to be a lot of information about the TSP, but I am finding it difficult to find information about the VCP.

A. To find out how to make the transfer, you can call the Office of Personnel Management at 888-828-9451 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time. In the Washington, D.C., area, you can reach them at 202-606-0706. You may also contact them by email at, or write to:

U.S. Office of Personnel Management

Voluntary Contributions

1900 E Street, NW, Room 3H30

Washington, DC 20415


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply