Q. I retired on a Voluntary Separation Incentive Program after 27½ years of service. I worked 19 years under CSRS Offset. I’m working in the private sector now and continue paying into Social Security. When I turn 62, even if I’m still working, will an adjustment be made to my annuity for the amount of my Social Security benefit at that point? And what can I expect if I continue to work to my full retirement age for Social Security, which is 66? By then, I’ll have 28 years that I’ve paid into Social Security. I don’t necessarily want to retire at 62.

A. Your CSRS annuity will be automatically reduced by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while covered by CSRS Offset. That reduction will occur whether or not you apply for a Social Security benefit. When you apply for a Social Security benefit, that benefit will be reduced by the windfall elimination provision if you have fewer than 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply