Substantial earnings


Q. I retired in August of 2010. I was immediately employed but did not make anywhere near $14,640 that year. In 2011, I made $17,540. That was $2,900 over the amount to qualify for substantial earnings. Is there a form I can fill out to report this and then make the payback of the $1,450 I owe?

A. While the Annuity Supplement Earnings Report form hasn’t been updated for reporting excess earnings in 2011, you can see the 2010 version — and update it yourself with a pen — by going to  Note: The earnings limit in 2011 was the same as it was in 2010.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply