Temporary position


Q. A CSRS annuitant friend of mine would like to apply for a temporary summer position that will be open in our agency for which he is fully qualified.  Would she be eligible without losing part of his annuity? I believe the position will be Social Security taxed only, not a FERS job.

A. As a rule, returning to work for the government will result in the employee’s salary being offset by the amount of his annuity. The only way to find out if there might be an exception in this case would be for him to talk with an agency benefits specialist.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply