Adding reserve time?


Q. I have bought back my military time, doubling my civilian retirement from 12 to 24 years. I also have a letter from National AmeriCorps showing nine months working for them. And I have a reserve computation showing I earned two years in the Army Reserve. However, the personnel office said neither of these can be added to my retirement. Is that right, and if so, why not?

A. Your personnel office is correct. By law, only active-duty service is potentially creditable. And only nonfederal civil service employment that is specified elsewhere in law is creditable. National AmeriCorps service isn’t one of those. If you want to know why, ask your member of Congress.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply