Death of retiree


Q. My father was a retired (1979) federal employee receiving monthly retirement payments via direct deposit. He died last week.

1. What do I need to do?

2. Who do I notify to stop his monthly retired pay and to initiate the process for obtaining his government life insurance?

A. You need to call the Office of Personnel Management’s Retirement Information Office at 888-767-6738. Make sure to have your father’s full name, Social Security number, date of birth and Civil Service Annuity number at hand when you do that. The benefits specialist will send you the paperwork you need to close out his account.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply