Medically retired military buyback


Q. I was medically retired from the military after about 15 years of service. I was receiving a pension from the Army until I was awarded compensation from the Veterans Affairs Department. The VA compensation was more than the Army pension that is taxable; therefore, I receive a VA compensation that is nontaxable (80 percent). Within the past three or four years, I was awarded combat-related special compensation because the injuries were considered to be combat-related during my military career. My time of service was Sept. 21, 1981, to June 19, 1996. Does the military buyback option apply to me without giving up my military pension?

A. Yes, it does.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply