Lump sum


Q. I worked for the government from 1970 to 1979 and then quit. I took a lump-sum payment. I then worked for a church for 28 years and retired in 2011. I filed for Social Security recently (I just turned 62), and they replied they need to know the amount of my lump-sum payment from the government back in 1979 before they could process my Social Security benefits. Can you tell me how I can figure my lump sum based on my income those nine years with the government, or is there a place I can contact to find out? I really do not recall that amount from 33 years ago.

A. You may be able to get that information from the National Personnel Records Center. Give them a call at 314-801-0800.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply