Medicare deductions


Q. Back in the 1980s, there was a civil suit concerning Medicare being deducted out of CSRS federal employees. Could you tell me whatever happened to that suit?

A. Never heard of it. But that doesn’t matter. CSRS employees have Medicare Part A deductions taken from their salaries and are eligible for that benefit when they turn 65. If they are retired and want to enroll in Part B, they need to call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 and  arrange for it to be deducted from their annuities.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply